I suggest you ...

Support CardDAV protocol

The other common protocol used for addresses books, LDAP, is not up to the task :
- It would require complexes specifics schemas to store all needed infos (multiple phones, birthday, contact status/role/position, ...)
- It require rw access to server (not always practical due to client limitations or security policies)
- Inflexible ACLs (how to allow users to share/hide specific contacts with other users on the fly ?)
- An LDAP server is not something you can host on a free hosting webserver (as opposed to PHP application), so doesn't fit much setups for personal uses
- Does not try to solve compatibility problems for different clients implementations (looking various things in different attributes)
- Isn't as much "universally accessible" as HTTP based protocols (firewalls, proxys, etc)
- Doesn't fit mobile devices requirements very well (slow external access, designed for permanent online access, no synchro)...

So it seems a clean DAViCal-like server implementation is the main missing piece to compete with those groupwares/exchange/lotus with small, clean and standards compliant components (coupled with caldav, sieve, and imap servers).

Presently ZideOne (for Outlook), SOGO Connector (for Thunderbird) and Apple Address Book implement client support (at least). SOGo has a server implementation, but that's really not in the same lightweight & clean & lean league as DAViCal ;-)

Problem, this is an entirely new and complete protocol (would probably require quite some work to implement), and that's still draft standard. I don't even know whether this is totally out of scope for DAViCal, or if enough existing infrastructure/framework/libs/conf can be re-used so it would make sense to bundle CarDAV support within DAViCal at some point.

Thanks for your attention ;-)

264 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ben.pineau shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CardDAV works very nicely for me in iOS 4.3.3 and Addressbook 5.0.3.
        I will make a donation and see if I can help in any other way (i am a PHP-developer).
        Keep up the good work!

• AdminAndrew McMillan (Admin, DAViCal) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CardDAV support is now included in release 0.9.9.2 which appears to work nicely with iOS 4.1 however I have not had luck getting other client software working, so there may well still be some bugs in this initial implementation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base